Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Here's a shocker...

I went to visit a college yesterday because I had the day off from school. College was nice - but I couldn't exactly focus.

Remember how I told you I was getting MRIs on Friday to see what was wrong with my legs? Well I got the results back yesterday. My doctor called me when I was at the college.

I want everyone to take a few seconds to think about what could possibly be wrong with me (well, besides what we already know haha). Why does my hip hurt so bad, why is it so swollen, etc. Just think for a minute.

10...
9...
8...
7...
6...
5...
4...
3...
2...
1...

Okay...did you think? Come up with any logical answers? If you did I'd like you to comment what you thought.

Here's the shocker. I have a huge cyst on my ovary. Now if ANY of you were thinking that...kudos to you because this took me by COMPLETE surprise. I was shocked, scared, anxious and worried when I found out. I'm used to being screwed up mentally and othopedically. Not like this.

This is why this is bad. It is huge. It definitely has to be taken out - that means more surgery. Ovarian cysts are common - but they usually go away after your next period and don't cause any symptoms. Most women only find them by accident. Mine causes every single symptom in the book. Also, the MRI said it was very dense in nature. They are supposed to be fluid filled. And mine didn't go away.

Here's the kicker. It could be cancerous. Yeah I'm only 17 but ovarian cancer doesn't discriminate. The fact that I have every single symptom and that it is causing sooo much pain and it's so dense is very worrisome to me and my doctor.

My next step is to make a doctor appointment with a gynecologist and get an ultrasound and the CA-125 test done, which is a blood test that tests for the cancer. Needless to say, I'm pretty scared. If any of you have been through something similar or anything, let me know your story and what happened.

3 comments:

  1. That must be really terrifying. I wish could do something to help you deal with this. I have never had anything like this but my sister does. She does not have cancer but she will probably have to have a hysterectomy some time in the next few years. I am still available to talk anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana, I am so sorry. I wish there were something I could do to take your fear away for you. My sister-in-law has had ovarian cysts for over 10 years now. They don't go away but she keeps them "under control" with birth control. My best friend also had a very large ovarian cyst that caused her quite a lot of pain, but it wasn't cancerous and she is also on birth control now because of it. I'll be praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, went through the ovarian cancer scare. My cyst was volleyball size before detected by ultrasound. They kept trying to tell me all I had was a bladder infection and pumped antibiotics in me. FINALLY, when they found the cyst, I was actually happy. Glad to know there was a reason for feeling so bad. I had two things on my side - my abdomen wasn't full of fluid (which they say is typical in cancer) and my CA-125 was normal. But I of course had it removed and it was benign. They did a complete hysto - I have no uterus, no ovaries, no cervix, etc. Of course, I'm MUCH older than you so no worries there about having kids. I hope your story ends up good like mine!!!

    ReplyDelete