Sunday, May 1, 2011

Everyday tasks turn impossible

Tonight at dinner, just a simple, seemingly harmless topic to others, triggered a bad anxiety attack for me tonight. But what dinner time conversation could possibly trigger a response like this?

A simple question for anyone else, caused complete chaos for my body. 

The question was this: what are you going to do this summer? 
I froze. Then my dad suggested, "why don't you go away with your friends? You always get invited". Without even thinking, I screamed out no!

Why? One reason. Anxiety. I hate going out places with other people. I get bad anxiety in social situations and it just scares me to the point where I don't even feel comfortable leaving the house. I don't know why I'm so anxious. I hate it. 

So what am I going to do this summer? Sit around and feel sorry for myself? Sounds like a great plan. I'm still going to be on crutches for a while still anyway, probably until halfway through July at least. 

I want to do something. But I can't. I have way to much anxiety to do a camp or do anything  social like that, especially if I have to do it myself and I don't have a friend with me. 

But what's the right thing to do?  Hide and let my anxiety beat me? Or go out and just feel horrible and nervous. I don't know. 

Well all my life I've tried to push through it and not let my anxiety keep me from doing things, and it seems like it's worse than ever. So maybe that's not right for me. I don't know. I don't know what to think. 

I'd like to hear suggestions about what I should do..or how to "get over" my anxiety issues. I'm really at a loss right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your blog! I understand what you're feeling unfortunately I don't have a solution (yet). Just know that you are not alone, lots of people feel like you do. I'm glad you're attacking this when you are so young, think of that as a positive. Maybe choose something between camping and hiding in your room, baby steps.

    Read through Monique's Blog for some good information.

    http://mysocialanxietydisorder.blogspot.com/?zx=b15d2a52579d3831

    Keep strong and it will get better. -Kevin

    ReplyDelete